Car Pooling/Sharing Tips
TIPS FOR CAR SHARING
Compiled by Allison Roberts for a public meeting in Clonakilty on 22 September 2011
USE THE IRISH GOVERNMENT ORGANISED WEBSITE: http://carsharing.ie/
- Discuss carpool costs.
- Studies recommend around 13cents/mile.
- If commuters share driving equally money need not change hands.
- Check that your insurance company covers you for public liability when car pooling (it should if you are only reimbursed costs).
- Establish some rules.
- Have a chat about smoking, food, radio etc.
- Decide how long the driver will wait if someone else is delayed (5-10 mins?).
- Don’t have lengthy mobile phone calls during carpools.
- Don’t feel it is your responsibility to entertain the driver if you are a passenger – let conversion be two-sided and natural. Some people need quiet in the morning!
- Give carpooling a trial run – agree to cancel without reason given at any time should circumstances change.
ENVIRONMENT & CARSHARING
- Car fumes are the second largest contributor to green house gases – causing about 60% of nitrogen oxide & 80% of carbon dioxide in urban air pollution.
- Cars are generally designed to carry 4 or 5 people, if they do the environmental impact is similar to taking public transport.
- Carpooling reduces cars on the road, thus speeding up traffic flow, which benefits the environment (less cars idling in gridlock).
- Carpooling with one other person cut emissions by 50%, with three others you can cut emissions by 75%.
- If you are carpooling you can save up to about €2,400/year
- Based on €5 each way, 5 rides per week
- Savings include car maintenance, fuel and parking.
- Even sharing your car with one other person only twice a week can save €600/year based on Clon to Cork petrol consumption.
- Carpooling can make independent car ownership unnecessary for some people, saving on tax, insurance & upkeep, freeing up funds to contribute to other drivers.
- Inner city driving is most stressful on the engine – minimizing commuting saves on maintenance & prolongs the life of cars.
PERSONAL BENEFITS OF CARSHARING
- Studies have shown that car-pooling reduces stress by its natural social interaction.
- You’ll get to work faster – less cars = less traffic = longer sleep-ins!
- More spare time – when not driving you can read, relax, chat or browse the internet.
- Companies encourage car-sharing, thus boss can’t make you work late!
- Financial savings = less income needed, enabling less stress & more holiday time!
- It’s not as easy to get stressed when you have other people in the car, empathy & conversation makes for happier commuting!