What is the objective of Clonergy 2020?
To enable the transition of Clonakilty and the surrounding areas to energy neutrality through renewable energy, in order to support a sustainable economy and quality of life for the community by 2020.
How is the Clonergy 2020 objective to be achieved?
- Through understanding how much energy Clonakilty uses.
- Conserving as much of that energy as possible.
- Identifying local sources of renewable energy that could be utilised, including encouraging people to produce their own renewable energy – solar etc. This project has already been completed as the Renewable Energy Roadmap. Click here to read it.
- Encouraging local public/private partnerships to establish small renewable energy power stations close to the town.
Why do this?
• To give a stable and predictable energy supply to the town at stable prices.
• To retain money spent on energy in the local economy.
• To create employment.
• To encourage eco-tourism.
• Environmental benefits.
• Because it has been achieved in Güssing, Austria and we think it could work here too.
What is the Energy Working Group?
The sub-group of Sustainable Clonakilty made up of volunteers who are driving the Clonergy 2020 project.